Get styled for the New Year
Tara Swennen who came 24th in the Hollywood Reporter’s list of most powerful stylists
What is a stylist?
A fashion stylist is someone who decides what another person will wear or helps a person decide what they will wear.
Why do you need a stylist?
You actually already have several stylists in your life: that friend who comes along with you when you shop for that important dress, the shop attendant at your favorite store, your mom, your daughter or your husband. We all have them. If you don’t, you probably should, because everyone needs a second opinion sometimes. Most stores have personal shoppers available at no cost to you.
Stars often employ stylists because of the internet and media. Bloggers and fans often jump on the band wagon to critcize a star’s bad choices, so a good stylist is often essential. “Stylists began getting extraordinarily powerful,” said Melissa Rivers, executive producer of “Fashion Police.”
Tara Swennen, stylists to the Stars
Stylist Tara Swennen is known for dressing stars like Kristen Stewart, Julie Bowen, Kaley Cuoco, Kate Beckinsale, Lauren Conrad. Mila Kunis, KStew, Miley Cyrus, Heather Graham and Angie Harmon. She attended Cornell university, where she majored in design.
My philosophy is all about letting a client’s personality shine through their looks, so I incorporate trends that fit not only their figures, but also their attitudes. Refinery29.com
Tara Swennen’s styling tips which Women over 45 can embrace
- On older women wearing short skirts, Tara Swennen says on Readers Digest.com,”I recommend anywhere from three inches above the knee to right below the knee,” an area that is considered the most flattering as it’s the thinnest part of your leg (besides the ankle). If you don’t feel comfortable showing leg, you can always pair a short skirt with opaque tights.”
- On wearing open toed shoes with nylons or tights: Tara recommends that you keep the shoe a peep-toe, not sandals.
- Use a tailor! You can always get a tailor and tweak the piece you found to work for you.
- Secret style weapons:
- Topstick –A tape that keeps clothing from revealing skin or undergarments
- Underarm sweat pads
- Essential Jewelry: Diamond studs, hoops and a cocktail ring.
Watch Tara Swennen’s Tips for Festive Occasions.
(She’s a beauty, you don’t want to miss this video). If you are reading this in a reader or email feed head over to the blog!
This is a Fashionista Events opportunity.
THanks for the tips. She can come help me out anytime.
That is very handy – Can she be my stylist?
I love her leather pants in the top photo. I have been trying to get up the guts to wear some!
Interesting – good tips. I’ve always wanted to hire a stylist too.
Jenna Wood says
I especially like her tip about skirt length. It’s all about how you use the fashion to showcase your body, at any age!
I love her tips! I am nearing that age and I need some great styling tips! Thanks so much!