How to Survive One Day Self Guided Tours in Iceland
Abbott partnered with influencers such as me for its Ensure Program. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time—but the thoughts and opinions are my own.
How a 54 year old woman survived a trip to Iceland
I did it everyone! I survived Iceland. I climbed mountains (see the picture above for proof), I hiked paths, I walked down into a crater, and I traversed cities (Reykjavik)!
As those who have been following my journey know, Walt and I have been planning a trip to Iceland since the spring. I have been worrying about having enough strength and muscle mass to climb, hike and walk for the entire trip. (See post 1, 2 and 3). Working with Ensure Enlive, has made me realize just how important maintaining my muscle mass is through the decades. While on the Iceland trip, I did feel tired at the end of the day, but wow, as you will see from our daily itineraries, the upfront preparation with the right kind of exercise and protein packed Ensure Enlive (contains a high amount of protein –20 grams and the unique ingredient HMB, which work together to increase strength and energy) made it possible for me to keep up with Walt and everyone else in the party.
As you all know, what makes me ME is to constantly have new experiences, especially travel-related experiences. Ensure Enlive, with it’s protein focus will help both Walt and I along our journey into retirement and travel. Let the fun begin!
# 1 — One Day Self Guided Road Trips in Iceland — Explore Reykjavik
- Take a free City Walk (2 hours) of Reykjavik and meet the city founders via statue
- Explore Reykjavik’s shopping areas (Laugavegur) and see a viking or and elf
- Try some of the Reykjavik’s specialty foods like hotdogs, ice cream or rotting shark.
4. Climb the hill overlooking the harbor to see the Arnarholl Statue which is located where the first Norse permanent settler, Ingólfr Arnarson and his family used to live. Here admire a stunning view around the Reykjavik Harbour.
5. Ask directions to one of the cities many art or history musuems. Don’t miss the Reykjavik 871 +/- 2 The Settlement Exhibition, an excavated site of the actual remains of a Viking Age longhouse.
6. Trek up to the Hallgrimskirkja Cathedral. It only costs $6 to go to the top and get a panoramic view of the city.
7. Climb down to the Reykjavik City Harbor and see the architectural wonder Harpa Reykjavik Concert Hall and Conference Centre
The benefits of making exercise and diet changes over the last few months were evident to me even on the first day of my Iceland trip. According to a recent AARP study, to keep muscles healthy goes beyond just having strength; muscles play a key role in a person’s movement, including balance, posture and the body’s metabolism. Muscle loss can also contribute to a lack of energy, making normal activities, like carrying heavy groceries or playing a game of golf, more difficult.
#2 — One Day Self Guided Road Trips in Iceland — Drive Iceland’s South Coast
- (Lower Left) Stroll along the Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach and climb on the Basalt Hexagonal Columns
- Wind up to Dryholaey Nature Reserve to view unique beach rock formations
- Walk in awe down the trail to the Solheimajokull Glacier
- (not pictured) explore the picturesque village of Vik
4. Enjoy the majesty of Skogafoss (Skoga Falls). Climb the stairs to the top if you dare.
5. Wind behind the very high Seljalandsfoss for a unique experience
You can bet this day had me breathing hard throughout and tired at the end but I made it through and had a great time! Ensure Enlive includes key nutrients that work together to help support muscle health for older adults, science that shows people naturally start to lose up to 8 percent of muscle each decade starting at 40 years old, which accelerates to 15 percent at age 70 and can worsen with an illness or health setback. Isn’t that shocking?
#3– One Day Self Guided Road Trips in Iceland –Drive Iceland’s Golden Circle
- Surprise yourself with the Gullfoss Waterfall. Climb down to the bottom and then step up to the top of this stunning massive majestic waterfall.
- Enjoy Þingvellir (Thingvellir), the National Park where the Althing, an open-air assembly representing the whole of Iceland, was established in 930 AD. I am standing at the Almannagjá canyon which is formed between two tectonic plates (North American and Eurasian), a visual representation of continental drift.
- (not pictured) In Thingvellir, see Oxararfoss Waterfall
- Skip to Geysir and see a geyser.
- (not pictured) Don’t miss, Laugarvatn Fontana, a beautiful natural hot spring bath
- (not pictured) Esti-Dalur II farm and restaurant or Frioheimar–tomato greenhouse and restaurant (Chief Blonde recommended).
- (not pictured) Skaholt Cathedral
- (not pictured) Tiptoe around the top of Kerio crater and slide your way to the bottom.
Whew, we did not get home until very late after this day trip but in Iceland in August the sun stays out until almost 10:30 pm! Ensure Enlive is the perfect drink to have with you for your long days whether it be travel, work or play. Protein is more important than ever as you age. Experts now argue that older adults need more daily protein than younger people do to offset muscle loss and weakened bones… Protein helps maintain muscle mass and heart health and it can also help you recover faster from surgery. (AARP April-May 2016)
#4– One Day Self Guided Road Trips in Iceland — Swim and Spoil yourself at the Blue Lagoon Spa
- Take the whole day and head to the Blue Lagoon, a geothermal spa, one of the most visited attractions in Iceland. The spa is located in a lava field. The lagoon is a man-made lagoon which is fed by the water output of the nearby geothermal power plant.
Iceland’s Blue Lagoon was a relaxing day after so much physical activity. Walt and I thoroughly enjoyed the pampering experience but appreciated the fact that we had plenty of muscle and physical strength to handle the challenges of the week.
After seeing the progress I have made over the last 3 months, I want to encourage those of you who are 50+ to start thinking about muscle loss and how Ensure Enlive could help you maintain your muscle mass as you age. It’s also important talk about muscle loss with your friends, family, and loved ones.
Abbott partnered with influencers such as me for its Ensure Program. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time. The opinions and thoughts in this piece are my own. Abbott/Ensure believes that consumers and influencers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Abbott/Ensure policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.