Thought about traveling the USA alphabetically?
“How many States Start with A” is part of our Travel the USA Alphabetically Series
How Many States Start with A?
Ever thought about traveling the USA in a different way? How about alphabetically? Geographically it might not make sense to do it all at one time, but you if you spread it over the course of the year it would be possible. For example, how many states start with A? There are actually 4. The “A” states could be traveled in one long cross country haul in the following order from east to west:
According to Google Maps, it takes 88 hours to drive the trip.
What to do in states that start with A?
- Architecture: Visit the Frank Lloyd Wright’s Rosenbaum House in Florence, AL.
- Just have Fun: Attend parade for Mardi Gras, the site of America’s original Mardi Gras in Mobile, Alabama. While there catch beads, a moon pie, or even stuffed animals that are thrown from parade floats.
- Get some Sun: See the ocean in Gulf Shores, Alabama
- Get to know a Famous Person: Visit Helen Keller’s birth place in Tuscumbia, AL
- Relive History: Cross the bridge in Selma, AL
- Weird but Fun: Visit the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, AL
- Visit a architecturally significant church and the Ozark Mountains: One of the finest religious spaces of modern times, Thorncrown Chapel Eureka Springs, AR
- See Christ of the Ozarks: Famous sculpture designed by one of the sculptures of Mr. Rushmore, alo in Eureka Springs, AR
- Get to know a Famous Person: Visit Johnny Cash’s boyhood home in Dyess, AR
- Take a Hike: the 192 mile Ouachita National Recreational Trail offers a hike for every skill level
- Appreciate Americana: the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is located in Bentonville, AR and is sponsored by Walmart (also headquartered in the town).
- Don’t Miss It: Visit the Grand Canyon…Duh!
- A Close Second: The Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest were surprisingly interesting when I visited.
- Can’t miss Small Towns: Bisbee and Tombstone will give you the western vibe that only Arizona can provide
- Visit the Hoover Dam: One of the 7 wonders of the industrial world, the Hoover Dam sits on the border between Arizona and Nevada. It is a can’t miss site. Take the time to really understand the value this dam has played in our nation’s history.
What to do in Alaska?
Much like Arizona, Alaska’s main features to “Not Miss” are nature focused.
- Catch some Light: Visit Fairbanks, Alaska to get one of your best views, just 150 miles south of the Arctic Circle, the city of Fairbanks is ideal for Northern Lights viewing with its latitude.
- Visit The highest Peak: Denali located in Denali National Park tours 20K+ feet over 6 million acre park
- See it before it’s gone: Glacier Bay National Park where you might even catch site of a humpack whale or a puffin.
Visit my Amazon Store to find all things Amazon.
If you were visiting the States alphabetically, which letter would you visit first?
Did you enjoy traveling the US alphabetically? Want to tackle the rest of the Alphabet?
- How Many States Start with M? What to do in States that start with M?
- iSafe Backpack Review
- Audiobooks.com Review