Why Women over 45 LOVE Social Gaming!
Social Networking Sites Nearly Double Usage among those Over 45
When most people hear the word “gamer,” they picture a pimply-faced teenager wearing headsets in front of a computer? Well, they might want to think again after discovering what recent studies revealed this year.
The Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project revealed that social networking sites nearly doubled in usage among people ages 50 and older since last year, and has grown 100% among people ages 65 and older. Surprisingly, usage among these older groups is growing at a faster pace than younger generations.
Even more surprising is that 46 percent of social gamers are at least 50 years old and dominated by women, according to the 2010 Popcap Social Gaming Research. The study establishes social games as a fast-growing and quickly maturing pastime for older generations. With more than 80 percent of social gamers stating that playing social games strengthens their relationship with friends, family and colleagues, social gaming reinforces the core appeal of social networks.
Popularity of social games has taken off for a variety of reasons:
1. Connecting with old and new friends
2. Limited mobility restricts people from getting out for real life social interaction
3. Games provide mental stimulation that improves health
4. Social games offer real-time interaction for those seeking companionship to help overcome social isolation
5. Cooperative games promote positive interaction that lead to feelings of happiness and long-lasting friendships
6. Social Networking sites are designed so that EVERYONE can easily create a profile and start connecting with others immediately
7. Seniors are more likely to have access to high-speed Internet
8. Bridges generational gap by providing a unique platform where parents, teenagers, grandparents, friends and neighbors regularly communicate
9. People with chronic disease are more likely to seek support online
10. People need to have a sense of purpose in life, and being a “host” on a website fulfills this desire
What Women over 45 are saying:
I’ve made so many new friends online,” said Jessica Drake, 49-year-old woman from Washington Court House, Ohio. “With all my medical problems, it’s nice to know that I have a support system online to help me cope with my fears and anxiety. I recently went in for surgery last week and received support and prayers from online friends all over the country.”
“I’m in a wheelchair and pretty much homebound,” said Gail Davis, a 55-year-old from Chattanooga, Tennessee. “I used to be so depressed and lonely until I discovered online game sites that let me play with real people at the same time. Social game sites have been a lifesaver for me, so many friends and so much fun!”
Experts on aging say that staying socially connected is a key part to a healthier and more fulfilling life because it improves physical and emotional well-being, and increases mental acuity. New research studies confirmed that human interaction lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, promotes heart health, minimizes the effects of stress, and helps to cope with major life changes such as job loss, health problems, and bereavement.
For these reasons and more, social gaming sites will continue to gain rampant popularity among the fifty-plus population. They are wired and embracing technology at full speed now more than ever.
Are you playing more social games? Do you prefer them to other social activities?
Blog Note: Information provided by Winster.com, a social networking site featuring cooperative games geared toward the older population.