What’s for Easter Breakfast? Blackberry Ebelskivers
What the heck is an Ebelskiver?
A Ebelskiver is the most wonderful breakfast creation. It’s a Danish pancake puff…mmm! Traditionally, these little beauties are made unstuffed or stuffed with apples. I developed a twist for you today and stuffed them with blackberries and I can assure you, it’s a wonderful substitute.
How do you make Ebelskiver?
This gives you an idea of how easy and fun Ebelskiver are to make. You just pour in the batter, stuff them, pour over some more batter, flip them, and EAT! You do need the special pan shown, but they are fairly inexpensive and readily available.
Also, I think you will love these Specialty Food Ebelskiver Mixes, if you don’t want to whip them up yourself: Ebelskiver Mix
- Pint of washed Blackberries (or any berries will do)
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1½ Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 5 egg whites
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- For batter:
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then mix in the buttermilk and sour cream.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until combined; expect the batter to be lumpy.
- Set batter aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed with a hand mixer until stiff, 2-3 minutes (Dry peaks should not form)
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, ½ of the egg whites at a time.
- Your batter is now ready
- Brush the ebelskiver holes with melted butter.
- Heat pan on medium to medium high. Watch carefully
- Spoon 1 Tbsp batter into each well and cook for 1 minute.
- Put two blackberries into the center of the batter of each pancake.
- Top with one Tbsp. batter.
- Cook until bottoms are golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes.
- Using a wooden skewer (or chopsticks or a knitting needle) to flip the pancakes over.
- Cook until golden brown 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Makes about 30 if you don't eat them as you make them!
For the best deals, buy it Ebelskiver products on Amazon!