4th of July Patriotic Treats that Kids can Make!
Don’t you just love the 4th of July, Flag Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Veteran’s Day? They all inspire such patriotism. I love going to the parades in my little town and all the great family get-togethers. It’s fun to take along a special treat, so when SweetWorks sent me a bunch of their patriotic decorative candies, I knew I had to go full red, white and blue!
This is a 4th of July food crafts for kids but they will probably need your help on a few steps. But there are a lot of fun things for them to do as well. I would say that the main thing you need to do is watch and stir the marshmallows, especially once the food coloring has been added. Also, stirring in the crispy rice and moving quickly to get it into the pan is a must.
- 6 Cups Crispy Rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 3 Tbs. butter (plus extra for buttering your hands)
- Red and blue food coloring (I recommend Wilton's Gel for more intense color)
- 10.5 oz bag of marshmallows
- Sweetworks Candy or similar for decorating
- Decorative toothpicks
- Prepare a loaf pan, by greasing it with shortening or spraying well with cooking spray.
- You will now begin making the layers:
- Measure out 2 cups of Crispy Rice and put in a mixing bowl, set aside
- At low heat, in a medium sauce pan, melt 1 Tbs of butter
- Add ⅓ of marshmallows to the butter and continue to melt slowly, stirring occasionally
- Add Red Food Coloring to the marshmallow mixture, until it's the shade you want
- Remove from heat
- Stir in the 2 cups Crispy Rice that you set aside. Move quickly but stir enough to get the coloring spread over all the rice.
- Use a wood spoon to get mixture into loaf pan. Use buttered hands to press down very flat.
- Wash the sauce pan and spoon with HOT WATER thoroughly before proceeding to next layer
- REPEAT STEPS again for WHITE layer (but this time do not add any coloring, obviously)
- REPEAT STEPS again for BLUE layer (but this time add BLUE coloring to desired color)
- Now that you have all three layers, cool slightly
- Cut into 18 pieces with very sharp knife
- Remove from loaf pan. If the treats won't stand up, just smash them down a bit to make the bottom flat.
- Decorate by adhering SweetWorks candy with a bit of frosting. Insert decorative toothpicks
The Sweetworks candies are so beautiful and colorful, a little goes a long way. They are just the right highlight on just about any dessert you make. In big quantities they make an amazing display for any holiday. SweetWorks manufactures and distributes upscale gum, candy and chocolate. Whatever you may be looking for, SweetWorks has it!
Visit all our Sweetworks Holiday Decorating Posts HERE!
Can’t Wait to Win it?