Here’s My Top 10 Beauty Products Women over 45 should own
My 2 cents: Top 10 Beauty Products Women over 45 should own
Sure, sure, we all have lots of different makeup products for our over 45 aged skin but there are some absolute essentials that all of us need in our arsenal whether we are women over 50, women over 60 or women over 70.
1. Root touch-up or thin hair cover-up (for bald spots)— As a woman over 45, you may not realize it yet but your hair is thinning and graying. One day you will look in the mirror or someone will snap a photo and you will be like “Oh my goodness! Is that a bald spot? Is that a massive patch of gray hair?” While you are figuring out longer term solutions, what’s a girl to do? I suggest Madison-Reed Root Touchup (a powder). $15 (See our reviews here and here) for both roots/gray hair and to cover some thinning areas. Another product which works great for roots/grays, if you can get a good color match is Rita Hazen Root Concealer (a spray) $24 (See our review here).
2. Moisturizer: As we age, our skin loses moisture. Drink a ton of water to hydrate from the inside. To moisturize the outside of your skin, you do NOT need to spend the motherload to get great moisture. I use CeraVe Moisturizing Facial Lotion PM $12 (the only difference between the PM and the AM is the AM has sunscreen in it, I don’t want to use sunscreen all the time so I use the PM for moisturizing). The ceramide-rich formula provides essential ingredients to maintain a healthy skin barrier.
3. Cleanser: Face it Ladies. As we age, our pores appear bigger. One of the surest ways to make pores appear smaller is to get all the makeup out of them. You need a cleanser, and one that is better than plain soap. No need to spend a fortune though. For my sensitive skin, I use Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser $9. It’s mild, helps with my redness/rosacea and it gets all the makeup out of my pores when combined with #5 below. It contains natural licochalcone, a skin-soothing extract of the licorice root.
4. Retin-A (also called Retin-A Micro, Generic-tretinoin, Renova) is a perscription medicine–often referred to by doctors, beauty bloggers and users as the “Gold Standard of Skin Care” or the one skin care product that you absolutely MUST use after as a woman over 45. Retin-A (tretinoin) is a form of vitamin A that helps the skin renew itself. I have used Retin-A for one year. The results are simply amazing. In my opinion, although you should consult your doctor to discuss your own situation, don’t mess around using your money on anything else unless you are first using Retin-A.
5. Make up Remover tool. You have to couple your cleanser with a removal tool. Ecotools Pure Complexion Sensitive Konjac Sponge for Makeup Removal $6- is the best that I have found. This gets every little drop of gunk off your face and leaves your pores really clean when coupled with #3 above. It actually is made with 100% natural ingredients, including Konjac vegetable fiber. The sponge is hard when not wet, but softens to the consistency of a marshmallow when wet. For sensitive skin, it is a great super gentle exfoliater as well.
6. Mascara As we age, not only our hair thins, but our eyelashes do as well. If you don’t want to fuss with fake eyelashes, you need a volumizing mascara. I also believe that waterproof mascara shouldn’t be used after 45, because all that tugging and pulling on your eyes for removal just makes your eyelashes thinner. What you need is a mascara that stays on all day, doesn’t flake or run and comes off easily with water at the end of the day. I have used L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Original Mascara $6 for years for just these reasons. Many of the big beauty bloggers and beauty magazines put this mascara at the top of their list, plus you simply cannot beat the price. Psst: I use the color Blackest Black.
7. Brushes There is nothing that makes a product work like the right application tool, especially makeup brushes. My favorite brushes are Bare Escentuals brushes. My absolute favorite from that line is the Bare Escentuals Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush $9-19 when coupled with #8 below you simply cannot go wrong and your skin will look even and stunning. I swear I can go from a red-faced zombie to a porcelain skinned doll in 3 minutes when I apply concealer with this brush.
8. Concealer As we age, “stuff” starts showing up on our face, rosacea, age spots, adult acne, just to name a few. Get a good concealer and brush and cover it up. Trust me when I tell you, a good concealer and concealer brush (like I shared above in #7) will take you from “Ewww” to “Whew” in under 3 minutes. The concealer I started using when I turned 45 is bareMinerals Multi-Taskers Bisque $19 (it comes in various shades). This stuff is like magic! You will wonder who that young babe in the mirror is…
9. Sun Protection I know, I know, we are all supposed to be slathering our bodies every single second with sunscreen. I do wear sunscreen occasionally and I have SPF in many of my makeup products. But ladies, nothing beats a good hat for those times that you don’t have sunscreen with you or you don’t want to wear sunscreen. It’s so easy to keep a cute hat in every car and slap it on as needed. Your skin will thank you. I like these UPF 50 hats from Wallaroo. Most Wallaroos are packable, have a wonderful style, and have a wide brim.
10. A Killer Lipstick When we age, our face, eyes and lips use their youthful brightness, but we don’t have to accept that fate. If you can find a great lipstick, that doesn’t bleed into your liplines, has no fragrance, and delivers killer youthful color, wouldn’t you buy every shade? I love Burts Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Crayon $7 for my mature lips. It’s easy, inexpensive, full coverage and natural. Plus, it’s Enriched with Jojoba Oil, Kendi Oil and Shea Butter to moisturize and nourish lips. I might have to reapply every four hours or so, but the color is WOWZA and my lips never feel dry or gooey. Psst: My favorite color is Napa Vineyard.
Blog update: This Top 10 Beauty Products Women over 45 should own blog post originally contained a giveaway for $25 paypal. The giveaway had 6473 entries. See Giveaway Winners.