Chewy Warm Classic Pretzel Buns Recipe
Think you have already had the best burger you will eat all-year? Think again. A classic, chewy pretzel bun will change the rest of your burger season, and all of the burger/sandwich/bread-eating you will do. This classic pretzel buns recipe seems intense, but it is worth it for the intense, flavorful outcome and the intense compliments you will receive.
- For dough:
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ ounce fast rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 3-- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- For boiling:
- 3 quarts water
- ¾ cup baking soda
- Pre-baking egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- After-baking glaze:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Warm one cup of milk and two tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan to around 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit; this will mean that the butter will not be completely melted.
- Combine milk and butter mixture with ¼ oz. of undissolved yeast and two tablespoons of brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add two teaspoons of fine salt and two cups of flour. Beat mixture for three minutes
- Gradually, stir in around another cup of flour to make a soft dough.
- Prepare a floured surface for kneading the dough.
- Knead dough on the floured surface for around 8 to 10 minutes. The end product should be smooth and semi-elastic.
- Spray a separate bowl with cooking spray.
- Place kneaded dough in sprayed bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel or paper towel and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the boiling solution by combining three quarts of water and ¾ cups of baking soda in a large pot. Bring the solution to a boil.
- Prepare a greased baking sheet.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide into 6-8 smooth, taught balls.
- Boil each dough ball in the boiling solution for one minute on each side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the buns and place on the greased baking sheet,
- Prepare the pre-baking egg wash by mixing together one egg and one teaspoon of water
- Brush each bun with egg wash,
- Cut a cross on the top of each bun
- Bake the buns for 15 minutes,
- Without removing the buns, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes until the buns are evenly browned,
- Remove from oven and place buns on a wire rack,
- Brush two tablespoons of melted butter over hot buns and immediately sprinkle two teaspoons of sea salt evenly over top,
- Let cool.
Classic pretzel buns are perfect for big, greasy burgers, but also are an excellent alternative to a traditional dinner roll and make superb sandwich bread. Imagine all of the salty, golden-brown possibilities!
Love all things Pretzel?
Once you’ve tried our classic pretzel buns recipe, don’t miss these pretzel items!
Looking for other ways to “spice-up” your grilling season? Check these out:
Buy it all things pretzel on Amazon.
Update: This blog post originally contained a $25 Amazon giveaway. The rafflecopter entry device has been removed and had 7324 entries. See Giveaway winners.