What’s for Breakfast? Apple Cheddar Ebelskivers
What the heck is an Ebelskiver?
A Ebelskiver is the most wonderful breakfast creation. It’s a Danish pancake puff…mmm! Traditionally, these little beauties are made unstuffed or stuffed with apples, but I added a twist for you today! I stuffed them with extra sharp cheddar and apples. You have now reached breakfast Nirvana. You are welcome!
How do you make Ebelskiver?
This gives you an idea of how easy and fun Ebelskiver are to make. You just pour in the batter, stuff them, pour over some more batter, flip them, and EAT! You do need the special pan shown, but they are fairly inexpensive and readily available.
Also, I think you will love these Specialty Food Ebelskiver Mixes:
My Favorite…Traditional Danish Style Ebelskiver Mix $14.99
Chocolate Aebleskiver Mix–Puff Pancake
- Cup of Apples sliced into bite sized chunks
- Cheddar cheese diced into bite sized hunks
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 5 egg whites
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- For batter:
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then mix in the buttermilk and sour cream.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until combined; expect the batter to be lumpy.
- Set batter aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed with a hand mixer until stiff, 2-3 minutes (Dry peaks should not form)
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, ½ of the egg whites at a time.
- Your batter is now ready
- Brush the ebelskiver holes with melted butter.
- Heat pan on medium-low.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp batter into each well and cook for 1 minute.
- Put one chunk of apple and one chunk of cheddar into the center of the batter of each pancake. For extra flavor add more apples and/or cheddar.
- Top with one Tbsp. batter.
- Cook until bottoms are golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes.
- Using a wooden skewer (or chopsticks or a knitting needle) to flip the pancakes over.
- Cook until golden brown 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Makes about 30 if you don't eat them as you make them!
For the best deals, buy it Ebelskiver products on Amazon!
Blog Update: This blog post originally had a $50 Paypal giveaway attached and had 9608 entries. . See giveaway winners.