It’s that Time Again!!! BBQ Time…
BBQ Flank Steak Onion Open-Faced Sandwiches
Let’s fire up the grill or better yet the broiler in your oven and make a yummy steak sandwich to help you and your family transition from spring into summer. BBQ Flank Steak Onion Open-Faced Sandwiches are the perfect recipe to ease you into spring!
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds of flank steak
- ¾ loaf of sliced French bread (1/2" thick)
- ¾ cup of BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons of season salt
- 1 Onion
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Non-stick spray
- Prepare a non-stick sprayed pan to marinate flank steak.
- Place flank steak in prepared pan. Cover one side with ¼ cup of BBQ sauce and then shake 1 tablespoon of seasoned salt evenly over top. Flip steak over and repeat on other side.
- Cover pan and place in fridge. Allow steak to marinade for at least one hour. Steak may marinate for up to 24 hours to increase flavor.
- Begin to prepare onions and bread 15 minutes prior cooking steak. Prepare a skillet with a ½ tablespoon of butter and heat until melted. Place slice of French bread on top of melted butter and fry until lightly brown. Flip and repeat with all slices of bread. Make sure pan is nicely coated with butter while cooking.
- Once all bread is toasted, use the same pan to prepare onions in. Keep pan at a low heat with a butter layer while cutting onion into long pieces or into cubes. Place cut onion into pan with ½ tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of water and ⅛ cup of BBQ sauce. Allow to simmer while steak is cooking.
- Ready a broiler pan by lining bottom with aluminum foil and spraying with non-stick spray. Heat broiler on your oven to the highest setting, or if this is not an option on your oven, turn the broiler on. If your oven does not have broiler settings, it may increase cook times.
- Remove steak from fridge, transfer to the broiler pan, and put in oven a few inches under the broiler. Cook for 6-8 minutes, flip over, and cook for another 6-8 minutes. Juices will appear on top of the steak, and the edges will be nicely crisp when flank steak is done. NOTE: Flank steak may also be grilled on high heat instead of broiling.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board. Cut the steak diagonally into thin pieces by slicing against the grain of the steak.
- Place steak and onions on top of a slice toasted French bread. Drizzle remaining BBQ sauce over top of open-faced sandwiches.
Step 2-3 Marinating the Steak!
Some great seasoning salts that I recommend to try:
- Jane’s Krazy Seasonings Mixed Up Salt Canister $6.99
- Ono Hawaiian Seasoning $12.50
- Redmond RealSalt Organic Natural Seasoned Salt $10.79
- Choose your own seasoning salt
Some great BBQ sauces that I just adore:
- Sweet Baby Rays (2 jars) $12.91
- Stone Brewing Co. Barbecue Sauce Box of 3 $20.99
- Jack Daniel’s Barbecue Sauce Combo (Pack of 4 assorted flavors) $23.50
- Choose your own barbecue sauce
Step 8– The Cut Flank Steak. Make sure to cut diagonally against the grain of the steak
The perfect BBQ Flank Steak Onion Open-Faced Sandwiches prepare for a party of 5 or a crowd.
Update: This blog post originally contained at $40 Paypal Giveaway. The giveaway is over and the Rafflecopter entry device has been removed. The giveaway had 9356 entries. See Giveaway Winners.